The University of Alabama School of Music is pleased to announce the Huxford Symphony Orchestra High School String Orchestra Workshop on April 1-3, 2021. This event is open to all high school music string students and presents the opportunity to work with the University of Alabama School of Music faculty in a series of virtual masterclasses via Zoom.
This workshop is geared towards students who have an interest in pursuing advanced musical studies at the university level. Masterclasses with the full ensemble will address issues that arise from playing in the orchestral setting.
Topics will include repertoire analysis and score study, strategies for practicing and rehearsal preparation, and audition preparation for University music programs. Participants will have sectional masterclasses that will address issues specific to each instrument, gaining valuable feedback from the UA applied string faculty.
Questions? Contact Dr. Jamie Reeves.
Participants should complete the registration form.
With the registration form, please submit a video performance of a solo piece, approximately 3-5 minutes in duration. Videos may be from a recent audition recording such as All-State, summer festival, etc.
Deadline: Please submit registration forms and video by 5:00pm on Friday, March 26, 2021.
Fee: No fee for the April 2021 Workshop
- Jenny Grégoiré – Associate Professor of Violin, String Area Coordinator
- Jacob Adams – Assistant Professor of Viola
- Moises Molina – Assistant Professor of Cello
- Benjamin Crofut – Instructor of Doublebass
- Jamie Reeves – Director of Orchestral Studies
- 7:00–9:00pm- Welcome Meeting/Masterclass I
- 4:00-6:00pm – Masterclass II
- 10:00am–12:00pm – Full Masterclass II and Individual Coachings
- 2:00–4:00pm – Full Masterclass III
*All times are in Central Standard Time.
Repertoire- Selections from
- Barber- Adagio for Strings
- Elgar- Serenade for Strings
- Mendelssohn- Sinfonia XII in G Minor